Notification of Account Inactivity


How to initiate activity on your account

If you have recently received a mailing from us and would like to initiate activity on an account, please have the control number from the top of your letter ready and proceed to the Account Inactivity page.

Frequently asked questions

Why did I receive this letter?

You received a letter because there has been no initiated contact or activity on this account in several years, and per the definition of your state, it may be considered inactive or dormant. Once an account is deemed inactive, it is considered to be abandoned property and must be turned over to a state authority (also known as escheatment). In most states, an account is considered to be abandoned when there is no shareholder-initiated contact for three to five years.

What do I need to do to initiate activity on my account?

To ensure the account remains active, please do one of the following:

  • Visit the Account Inactivity page and have the control number from your letter ready.
  • Log in to your account (shareholders only).
  • For New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Vermont residents, contact must be in one of the following manners:
    • Visit the Account Inactivity page and have the control number from your letter ready.
    • Sign the Account Inactivity letter you received and return it in the enclosed envelope.
    • Send us a letter.

I have automatic transactions set up on the account. Are those not considered account activity?

Per state laws, these transactions do not qualify as account activity.

If I am a shareholder with multiple accounts, do I need to establish contact for each one?

No, it is not necessary to initiate contact for each account if they are registered under the same Social Security number or tax ID number.

In the future, how can I ensure that an account remains active?

To keep an account active, it is recommended that shareholders do at least one of the following activities one time per year:

  • Log in to your account.
  • Set up a new automatic payment plan.
  • Transact on the account in the form of a purchase or redemption.
  • Send a letter to us through U.S. Postal Service.
  • Cash a check from us.
  • Call us and have a conversation with a customer service representative that includes an automated security verification process. (Note: For New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Vermont residents, telephone calls do not qualify as activity; however, the other options above do qualify.)

What do I do if these assets were sent to the state?

To begin the process of recovering assets that were sent to the state, shareholders should visit their state treasurer or controller office website.

Initiate account activity today by doing one of the following:

  • Visit the Account Inactivity page and input your control number.
  • Log in to your account (shareholders only).
  • Call us and speak with a representative after a security verification process.

To speak with a representative, please call 1-800-222-8222 if you are a shareholder, or 1-888-877-9275 if you are a financial advisor.